Our first official trip was to the Free Trade Zone. Emilio talked about their history & all the terrible atrocities the US has done. He did give Nicaraguan corruption a little credit and really seems to believe in what he's doing. With his organization's help, they do employ about 30,000 people in the Free Trade industry in Nicaragua. After his presentation, he took us to tour a maquilla (assembly line) where they were making North Face & Columbia jackets & shorts. I asked if we got a sample for touring but they laughed at me. I hadn't been in a sweat shop before but they looked pretty laid back, no one there with a whip. This particular one employed about 1400 people. There was another one that employed about 900 people that announced it was closing while we were there - that's a huge hit for the people! I can't say assembly line work is for me but it's better than starving.
(This truck was parked in the Free Trade Zone. I think it was an ice cream truck but got a kick out of the name.)



Lunch back at the hotel was Chicken Cordon Bleu - mmmmm good, plus rice & beans & vegies.
After lunch & a little rest, we walked a few blocks over the University. Dang was it hot! We met with a History professor for a discussion (in Spanish with Juan Carlos translating) on Nicaragua. The US got beat up a little again for our foreign policy but I can't say that's completely unwarranted.
After walking back to the hotel, we went downtown to see old Managua. I got hit up by a cute little boy (above) to buy a 'flower' made out of a leaf of some sort. I took his picture & his sister's (I think - also above) and he gave me the 'flower'. He did ask for money but I did WJWND and said I didn't have any. The parents sit back & let the kids peddle things. Most people are suckers for a kid but I think it's sad to use your kids that way.
We also went to the old Samosa hold up & got a really cool view of the city.
There is just so much cleaning up to be done! I think they need FDR or Teddy to reinstute the public works programs we had here in the 30's. There was this giant Sandinista overlooking the city. Look really hard and you can see a little Sandinista on the building to his lower left.
Back at the hotel, we had a cold beer & supper of Chicken Kabobs, rice & beans and veggies waiting for us. We finished the contraband cookies we brought with us & talked about our day, then off to bed to get rested for tomorrow. We leave for the Country tomorrow. Stay tuned...
1 comment:
It sounds like you girls are doing great! What a cool thing to do together! Have fun and we'll pray for safe travel!Tam
Post a Comment